Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Back to school

So, I have had an email in my email inbox for literally 2 1/2 years. I have it flagged and everything. I even attempted to read it a few times. The email is explaining (in legalistic jargon) the steps I need to take in order to renew my teaching license. I have been getting more and more stressed about it needs to be done before my birthday in June. I finally sat down and read the thing. I did not like what I read at all so I called TSPC (Teacher Standards and Practices Csomething) and they confirmed what I had hoped was not the case... I have to go back to school. Apparently, once you get your Initial Teaching License you need to take 4.5 semester credits of Graduate level coursework. The idea behind this is that all teachers in OR have 5 years or something to complete a Master's. The two classes in order to get renewed is supposed to help those teachers along. Unfortunately for me, I already have a Master's. My program was just unbelievably stupid and didn't have us apply for our license before we received it. Therefore, since I did not complete two classes AFTER my license was issued, I now have to go back to school. I honestly don't mind doing the coursework. It will be a huge pain, but it is all online. Being a stay-at-home mom now actually makes it easier than when I was working. The part that really makes me mad is that I have to now pay to go to school again. $ 2,500 for TWO classes. I am trying very hard not be totally stressed about that. Originally, I was thinking "this is perfect, Nick works at Corban and I can get my tuition break and no big deal." Wrong. Apparently, Corban doesn't do tuition breaks for graduate level classes. So I am stuck paying 2,500 bucks. Not only that, but I have to apply for the school which means gathering transcripts and letters of recommendation and everything. Urg. No fun. The real kicker- I don't even ever want to teach. I just think it is ridiculous to let something like a teaching license lapse when it could open some doors for me in the future. It definitely broadens the scope of what I can do. At least I don't have to worry about getting my Master's in a few years...

1 comment: