Friday, July 16, 2010

What I am Reading...




Years ago my cousin came to town from AZ and took a tour of downtown Portland. They made a stop at Powell's. My cousin, knowing my love for books and specifically the *romantic* Austen, Bronte, Montgomery era suggested I read a new release featured entitled "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies." That's right. Zombies. He recommended it as a joke- never suspecting that I would be intrigued. It has taken me YEARS to actually pick the book up, I was so worried it would be a defilement of the brilliance of my all time favorite Austen, but I finally did it. And... I am enjoying it. I am comforted in the knowledge that Austen had a sense of humor and wrote a short, satirical novel aimed at the rise in Gothic literature- (Northanger Abbey- another favorite) so I feel like she would appreciate Seth Grahame-Smith's embellishment. Grahame- Smith essentially added in a few scenes to Austen's book in which England is over wrought with "unmentionables." I have laughed out loud many times. For the most part, he keeps the same feeling of the original although Elizabeth Bennett and her sisters are renown warriors and their "pentagram of death" is deadly to Zombies everywhere. Overall a fun read.

3 comments:

Avery said...

We NEED to talk! I mean, if you're ok with reading this, then maybe I can be!

laurel said...

i got that book for my mom for Christmas.. I'll have to remind her to read it.

Jessye said...

laurel- it is funny that you got it for your mom, since it was your brother who jokingly recommended the book to me =)