Friday, July 30, 2010

A Dream Fulfilled?



I have always loved horses. Not the crazy-horse-girl-with-horse shirts-and-other-paraphernalia but a deep longing to ride a horse over an open field with the wind blowing my hair and not a house in sight. It goes along with my desire to own land and have chickens and eat vegetables out of my garden. My aunt always had horses and I rode them occasionally when I was little, but my own shyness prevented me from taking full advantage out of the opportunity.

Elie is afraid of animals. I am not kidding. We went to the fair and she wouldn't even touch the bunnies. She will not even be on the ground if there is a dog in the vicinity. Horses, for whatever reason, she doesn't mind. She has had a few opportunities to go on a pony ride and the enthusiasm she showed when sitting on that horses back renewed all the old west desires I had been harboring for years. The result? I gave my aunt a call. Elie not only rode my aunt's horse bareback, but she started learning how to make the horse stop and go. It was so cute to see her sitting up there so tall yelling "walk-on."



I don't know if my Aunt knew what she was getting into when she said we could come over anytime...

2 comments:

-Meg- said...

Aw, love seeing Aunt Lynn! Wish I'd taken advantage of her generosity too!

trinward said...

That's so great! Horses are so good for kids! Our kids LOVE going to the horse farm with us! :)