Wednesday, February 17, 2010

lessons...

I do not read my Bible nearly as often as I should. I could list off a million different excuses (and I have plenty of legitimate ones) but deep down I know I could find some time in my day. I occasionally get pangs of guilt because I somehow manage to read for pleasure. Is it blasphemous to say that the Bible just isn't as exciting as the books I read? I have been attempting to make my daughter better than I am though, and we try and read a bible story every night before bed. Through doing this I have discovered that maybe it isn't because the Bible is too boring, but I am just too stupid. Kari got Elie the "Jesus Storybook Bible" and I love it. Not just because she loves it, but because I get something out of it every time I read it to her. Tonight she asked for the story of Jesus and the big storm on the fishing boat. This is what I read "they had forgotten that, if Jesus was with them, then they had nothing to be afraid of. No matter how small their boat- or how big the storm" (242). I have been stressing a little lately about money, school, work... etc. etc. My tiny little storm that I can't control has "blown and buffeted and tossed and turned" and all I have to do is wake up Jesus and let him say "hush." I know this is a lesson I have learned over and over, but somehow reading it in such simple words tonight really got to me.

3 comments:

Avery said...

Sometimes, I'm pretty sure we're the same person.

Kari Riley said...

I'm the same way with that bible. I just need to get a kids bible for myself I think.

-Meg- said...

Me too!! I just bought The Message translation, and I love it. Since it's in such plain language, it's like reading it for the first time. Song of Solomon made me blush! =)