Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Domestic Diva or Cheap Homemaker?



I have been making an effort lately to get in touch with my Amish side. It is so easy to do things the easy way, which usually means the unhealthy way, and buy everything prepackaged and ready to go. Well, I have been on a huge baking kick lately and one day at the grocery store I had an epiphany, "I don't just have to bake goodies." So, I have been making things from scratch as often as I can. No more Marie Calendar's corn bread for me and I have not bought a loaf of bread in over a month! I get up at five o'clock every morning and hand knead a loaf of bread so that when my husband and kids wake up they get warm bread fresh out of the oven for breakfast. Just kidding. I pour all my ingredients in my 3rd generation bread maker (meaning it has been handed down three times and been used maybe 10 times not counting my most recent use) and let the machine do the hard work. I took the advice of a friend and bake the bread in my own pan instead of the machine. I love doing it. As with anything you do from scratch, it takes some planning and forethought- neither of which are skills I innately possess- but it is fun. I want my kids to grow up and think that bread comes from the oven instead of the store. Moral if this story- if you are planning on coming over for lunch make sure you give me four hours notice or you'll end up eating quesadillas.

1 comment:

Our great adventure said...

yes to both domestic (i prefer goddess) and cheap, I like to be both too. I did that for a while, make my own bread, and you might be inspiring me.......might.
Good work! And you actually psyched me out for a sec, I actually pictured nick and elie waking up to you making bread! But I know you don't get up that early!!! :)